Development Project - Transportation Program
On behalf of TIDA, the San Francisco County Transportation Authority (SFCTA) is developing a transportation program for the island to ensure at least 50 percent of trips are made by walking, biking, and taking transit.
The Treasure Island Transportation Program is governed by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in its capacity as the Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency (TIMMA) Board.
Goals and Highlights:
Promote walking and biking:
- Bike lanes, pedestrian paths, and bike-share stations will make biking and walking around the island safe and enjoyable.
Provide high-quality transit:
- More Muni service, along with new AC Transit, ferry service, and an on-island shuttle will help ensure that at least 50 percent of trips to and from the island are made using sustainable modes.
Reduce the need for car ownership and use:
- Tolls incentivize smart choices on when and how people travel. Toll revenue will fund new and expanded island transit services and mobility improvements.
- Current Treasure Island residents will be exempt from the toll
- Private vehicles will be tolled when entering and exiting the island
- Tolling will use FasTrak and other easy on-Island toll payment options
- The Affordability Program (under development) will include toll credits and/or discounts
- The cost of housing will not include parking, so people who own cars will pay for parking separately.
- Access to car share vehicles will make it easier to live without owning a personal vehicle on the island.
- Subsidized transit passes and discounts to services like car and bike share will make transit affordable and accessible to longtime residents and people living in below market-rate housing.
Capital Improvement Projects:
The below projects are part of an effort to replace and retrofit key roads and on- and off-ramps that connect the I-80 (the highway on the Bay Bridge) and Yerba Buena Island. TIDA, the San Francisco County Transportation Authority (SFCTA) and the San Francisco Office of Economic and Workforce Development work jointly on these efforts.
Yerba Buena Island West Side Bridges Retrofit Project:
The West Side Bridges Retrofit will seismically retrofit eight existing bridge structures along Treasure Island Road to meet current seismic safety standards. These bridge structures are a critical connection between Yerba Buena Island, Treasure Island, and the Bay Bridge. View more informationabout the West Side Bridges Project.
Yerba Buena Island Southgate Road Realignment:
The Southgate Road Realignment will relocate Southgate Road and reconstruct and reopen the second I-80 eastbound off-ramp to Yerba Buena Island. View more information about the Southgate Road Realignment Project.
Yerba Buena Island I-80 East Side Ramps Project - Completed 2016:
In October 2016 new westbound I-80 on- and off-ramps connecting Yerba Buena Island and Treasure Island to the eastern span of the Bay Bridge opened. The project improved traffic safety, geometric design, and traffic operations on and near the ramps. View more information about the completed East Side Ramps Project.