Treasure Island Resident "Zero Waste" Resources
Preventing Pollution and Promoting Water Quality
SFPUC Greasecycle Station: Island Cove Market, 150 4th Street.
Collect used oil and grease in a clear unbreakable container and place inside green Greasecycle bin inside Island Cove Market front door.
Safe Disposal of Unused or Expired Medicine:
Unused and expired medicine is a threat to both public health and the environment. Don’t flush medicines down the toilet or sink. Don’t put them in the trash. Don't keep unused medicines lying around. There is not a Safe Disposal location on-Island.
- Call 415-355-3700 for a list of disposal locations
- Visit SFEnvironment.org/medicinedisposal for a list of disposal locations
Remember the "3 Ps":
The list is long (and growing) of items that should NEVER be flushed down the toilet on-Island, but instead put in the appropriate Recology black, blue or green bins. Protect the environment and help us keep the Island's sewer infrastructure flowing by keeping your toilet a "human-waste-and-toilet-paper-only-zone".
Reducing Household Hazardous Waste
Used Household Battery Collection: Island Cove Market, 150 4th Street
Dispose of AA, AAA, C, D, 9V, laptop batteries, camera batteries, etc. with Island Cove Market staff OR, place in a clear ziplock bag and tape to the TOP OF THE BLACK BIN on Recology collection day. DO NOT put batteries INSIDE any of your Recology bins. Always tape over Lithium (Li) or Lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery contact points, or dispose of Li & Li-ion batteries in original packaging.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal:
Do not throw household hazardous waste (HHW) including florescent bulbs, paint, used motor oil, pesticides, cleaning chemicals into your Recology black bin or leave on the curb. Arrange for proper free disposal through Recology.
- Call (415) 345-1405 to schedule home pick-up of HHW on Treasure Island
- Read about Recology's HHW Disposal Program
RecycleMyJunk Bulky Item Collection:
Treasure Island households are entitled to one or two curbside collections per year at no additional charge through Recology.
- Call (415) 626-4000 to schedule a bulky item pickup
- View a list of eligible and acceptable items for disposal under the RMJ program
Reuse and Disposal of Miscellaneous Items
Find solutions for reuse or disposal of miscellaneous items through the SF Environment's RecycleWhere? website.
- Dispose of unwanted clothes, shoes and linens. Visit SFEnvironment.org/textiles for a list of drop-off locations
- Recycle plastic bags and plastic wrapping. View a list of nearby drop off-locations in San Francisco.
- Use the Stop Junk Mail Kit. Visit www.StopJunkMail.org
- Remove your address from direct mail registries. Visit www.DirectMail.com
- Remove yourself from specific catalogs. Visit www.CatalogChoice.org
- Opt out of unwanted phone book distribution. Visit www.YellowPagesOptOut.com